Thursday, September 10, 2009

Pole!

Lemomo, Mica, Gabriella and Ellibaracka forming a choo choo train

Playing with the kids

Mama Tracie and Emmanuelle
(not very flattering of me, but isnt he cute??)


Pole (pronounced POLE A and the A is long) is a word utilized frequently here in Tanzania. It means sorry, however people say it frequently as a greeting if you are working…such as when I walk by a mama who is cooking on her Jiko or washing clothes I will say “Pole!” they then respond with “Asante, Pole na wewe” meaning sorry for your work, and the response is thanks, sorry for your work. I say the word pole probably 30 to 40 times a day. It acknowledges the staff members hard work and makes them feel good (hopefully!) On the other hand, if a child falls down or is sick you also say “pole”, which of course is the more traditional meaning of sorry.

So for all of the wonderful followers of my blog all I can say is POLE!! I have been so busy and tired and everything else in between I have been horribly remiss in my correspondence and especially with my blog postings. I am leaving RVCV for the weekend to go take some much needed R&R, however I promise when I return to post several of my recent experiences.

Until then, I leave you with a few of my most recent and favorite pictures…

No comments:

Post a Comment