Thursday, April 2, 2009

Picture - Off to school and the daily business of hauling stuff

Well, the rainy season is officially here. It has rained for 4 days in a row now and it is a big, muddy swamp. The kids are great about taking off their shoes and rain boots before entering the houses, however their socks are filthy(I haven’t figured out how the mud gets to the socks, but oh well!), so I am not quite sure what good it does, but at least they do it.

The corn fields surrounding the village have really taken off, which is great. The people who planted for the “short rains” i.e. Feb and March lost all of their crops as we didn’t have the rains, but now the time of “long rains” is here and looks like it may actually happen. I basically have mud on me from head to toe every day and am at the point of taking a shower in the morning and then one again in the evening. Thank god for running water!!!

I have moved down to India’s house for the rest of the year. She has turned the “Present room” into my room with a bed, side table, lots of shelves, hanging rod (yeah!), overstuffed side chair and a desk and goat chair. I have to walk outside and down a few feet to the bathroom, but I am in heaven. It only gets a little scary at night when the hyenas are out and you can hear them, but not see them. I am totally in heaven. I told her she may never get rid of me now. My view is unobstructed of the valley and coffee fields as her house is at the bottom/back of the compound.
She even put a little chair outside of my door so I can sit and view the scenery.

We have 3 new volunteers this week and a 4th coming tomorrow. All are in their early 20’s just out of college or staying here before they go to grad school. We are fully booked for the summer and the fall is nearly full too. It should be interesting over the long run to meet so many people from so many diverse backgrounds. It is perfect now that I am no longer in the volunteer house because I can socialize when I want or go home and read/sleep.

A few more kids have Malaria. Evidently this is an unprecedented number of cases here. India seems to think it is climate change as it is happening all over Eastern Africa. Who knows, I have now been bitten at least 15 times, but so far have escaped getting Malaria. The preventive is too hard on the body to take for any length of time, and the cure is so easy and only three days, I figure I will do as the Tanzanian’s do and just treat it as no big deal.

I would love to hear from everyone when you have time. My yahoo email is tterrill1@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment